STOP! Don’t Feed Your Dog These Foods

Human foods smell and taste so good to our dogs – especially over the holidays. Unfortunately, some items can be hazardous for dogs because of their different metabolism.

While in most cases, these foods may only lead to stomach upset and diarrhea, some items can cause severe illness, and even death.

Here is a short list of items not to feed our dogs.

  • Alcoholic beverages: Can cause intoxication, coma, and death
  • Avocado: Can cause vomiting and diarrhea
  • Bones from fish and poultry: Can cause choking, be an obstruction or a tear in the digestive system
  • Chocolate, coffee: Contain caffeine, and theobromine which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and can be toxic to the heart and nervous system
  • Fat trimmings: Can cause pancreatitis
  • Fish raw, canned, or cooked: In high doses can result in a thiamine (b vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures and maybe death
  • Grapes, Raisins, Currants: Contain a toxin that can damage the kidneys.
  • Hops: Can cause panting, increased heart rate, seizures and death
  • Human Vitamins containing iron: May damage the lining of the digestive system and could be toxic to other organs
  • Macadamia nuts: Unknown toxin, can affect digestive and nervous systems and muscle
  • Milk and other dairy products: Can lead to diarrhea
  • Moldy or spoiled food: Many toxins causing vomiting, diarrhea and affect other organs
  • Mushrooms: Can have toxins; affect multiple systems, shock and even death
  • Onions and Garlic: Contain sulfoxides and disulfides – can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.
  • Raw eggs: Can lead to skin and hair coat problems and may also contain Salmonella.
  • Salt: In large quantities can lead to electrolyte imbalances
  • Sugary foods: Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and diabetes
  • Yeast dough: Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, cause pain and even rupture the stomach or intestines
  • Xylitol (artificial sweetener): Can cause low blood sugar, vomiting, weakness, and even liver failure.